Right after I got back from Belgium, I began an internship at the Gladys Brooks Conservation Lab at the New York Academy of Medicine, where I’ll be working the rest of the summer. My very first project was to make a book of my own choosing, which was a lovely way to ease into working more intensively with books! I made a papercase binding and I have to say, I do like my book rather a lot — although much of that has to do with the paste paper covering, which honesty compels me to admit that I did not make but found in a scrap drawer!
The other projects I’ve been working on include a drop spine box (sadly, I did not photograph it) and re-backing a 19th century British book with full cloth covers. The latter involved an exciting moment when we found repurposed music sheets lining its spine, and the spine of the other volume of the work.
So far, Facebook has revealed that the two spines are likely lined with two separate pieces of music… but nobody has identified the pieces of music themselves! (If you have an idea of what it may be, please let me know in the comments!)